Montgomery Catholic Preparatory School is pleased to announce the groundbreaking of a new gymnasium and performing arts building.
The event will be held on Tuesday, October 10, 2017 at 11:45 a.m. at the Middle/High School campus located at 5350 Vaughn Road, Montgomery, Alabama 36116.
The Most Reverend Thomas J. Rodi, Archbishop of Mobile; Gwendolyn P. Byrd
Executive Director, Department of Catholic Education Archdiocese of Mobile; and Anne Ceasar Montgomery Catholic Preparatory School President will be special guests at the event.
Details about the Project
The capital campaign, Building on Faith, Family and Tradition raised over $3.5 million dollars in just eleven months, allowing Montgomery Catholic to look towards the future and realize the dream of a new 31,000 square foot gymnasium with stadium seating and capacity for 800. The gym will have two regulation basketball courts, a weight room, concession area, offices, locker rooms and conference rooms. The Montgomery community will find much comfort in knowing that the facility will be air conditioned – a luxury the current Father Pat Delahunty gym (built in 1968) does not have.
Along with building a new gym, plans also include converting the current gymnasium into a dedicated performing arts building to enhance our entire performing arts program. This area will be completely remodeled and create critically needed practice, storage and office space for our highly regarded band program and emerging choral program. More space means students will be able to better focus on all aspects of their practice. It will also increase the breadth of our performing arts program to include a state-of-the-art choral/drama classroom. This will allow us to provide a vibrant and supportive environment for current and future students with an affinity for the performing arts. A high school student lounge and meeting space will also be added looking onto the courtyard, giving Montgomery Catholic students a comfortable meeting space on campus.
Montgomery Catholic Preparatory School – A Brief History
Founded in 1873, by the Sisters of Loretto Montgomery Catholic Preparatory school celebrates 144 years of Catholic education in Montgomery this month. Founded as an all girl’s school, St. Mary of Loretto became co-educational in 1929. The high school moved to its current location in 1965. The last expansion at the campus was in 2007 with the addition of the Dolly Barranco Student Activity Center and Cafeteria. Today, Montgomery Catholic Preparatory School is a
K4-12 college preparatory program, with an average student enrollment of 800 at three campuses in Montgomery.
Programs and Capital Campaign information will be available at the event.
Mission: Montgomery Catholic Preparatory School is an integral part of the Catholic Church’s mission to proclaim the gospel of Jesus Christ. As an adult community, we share in the responsibility to prepare students for college and beyond while helping them to grow to become persons of faith, virtue, and wisdom.
Contact: Vicki Dickson, Director of Communications